Today I wanted to login to my Synology Diskstation NAS via SSH as root, but it wouldn’t accept my password. To resolve, try stopping and restarting the SSH service (under Terminal in the DSM Control Panel). If that doesn’t work, try the following (verbatim via Primal Cortex’s Weblog):
- Enable telnet on the DSM Control Panel
- Telnet as root. The password should be the same as admin. If not, change again the admin password.
- Execute the following command: synouser -setpwd root password_same_as_admin_or_not
- Trying now to ssh as root it should succeed with the password gave in the above command
- Disable telnet on the DSM Control Panel
Via Synology DSM root password for ssh | Primal Cortex’s Weblog.